Food and resource economics
Research on fisheries and agricultural economics has a long tradition at SNF/NHH. The focus within fisheries economics has varied over time, but the fundamental question has always been how to improve economic conditions and at the same time maintain sustainable management.
New topics have appeared over time such as aquaculture economics in the 80s and questions related to climate change and global warming more recently.
The research on agricultural economics has focused on economic analysis of efficient policy instruments with respect to policy objectives and public goods related to agricultural activity (cultural landscapes and food security). Development and use of numerical models are central to this research.
Focus within fisheries
- Climate change, global warming and fisheries management
- Aquaculture economics
- Incentive based management; markets for property rights and quotas
- Catching capacity, fleet structure and catch distribution
- Analysis of supply and demand of fish products
- Environmental questions related to fisheries and aquaculture
Focus within agriculture:
Specific topics (see also http://www.jordbruk.uib.no):
- International trade and questions related to the development within WTO
- The role of agriculture as a supplier of public goods such as cultural landscapes and food security
- Climate change, climate policy and their consequences for agriculture
- Model analyses focusing on the whole food industry
- Sustainable rural policy
Research director: Dr. Stein Ivar Steinshamn
Phone: + 47 55 95 92 58
- Managing risk in climate – A dynamic perspective, Frisch Centre / NFR.
- Socio-economic effects of fisheries-induced evolution, UoB / NFR.
- Efficient green support, NFR.
- Kartlegging og modellering av fiske- og havbruk, jordbruk og næringsmiddelindustri, Ministry of Fisheries and Coastal Affairs and Ministry of Finance.
- A sustainable regional policy, NFR.
- Expected change in fisheries in the Barents Sea, NFR.
- Bioeconomic multispecies analysis of marine ecosystems, NFR.
- Senior researcher: Ivar Gaasland, SNF
- Researcher: Nils Arne Ekerhovd, SNF
- Professor Erling Vårdal, University of Bergen
- Professor Rögnvaldur Hannesson, NHH
- Professor Leif Kristoffer Sandal, NHH
- Professor Rolf Jens Brunstad, NHH
- Professor Steinar Vagstad, University of Bergen
- Professor Frank Asche, University of Stavanger
- Professor Ragnar Tveterås, University of Stavanger
- Associate professor: Sigbjørn Tveterås, University of Stavanger